You have taken the first step by viewing the Office of International Education’s website for information about going overseas. Please follow the steps below if you would like to study abroad.
- Visit the Office of International Education in Walb Union 145 for a study abroad advising appointment or attend one of the many study abroad informational meetings scheduled throughout the year. The study abroad information meetings will discuss available study abroad programs, financial aid and scholarships, as well as how to narrow your options.
- Research the country or countries you would like to visit by reading books and talking with international students from that country and former participants in the program. For information on available programs, review Indiana University's and Purdue University's programs.
- Meet with your academic advisor to discuss your plans and courses abroad and obtain approvals for course work.
- Submit the study abroad application [PDF] and other required materials on or before the deadline.
- Apply for your passport and make preliminary travel arrangements.
- Complete all post-acceptance forms and return them to the Office of International Education.
- Attend the pre-departure orientation. It is required! These sessions provide valuable information to prepare you for studying abroad. Topics include travel safety, packing, money, budgeting, communication, inter-cultural understanding, food and transportation. Former study abroad participants will share their experiences and advice.
- Pack your bags and say goodbye to friends and family.
- Have a great time.
- After you return, meet with study abroad advising staff regarding credit transfer and re-entry information. In addition, share your experiences abroad with the IPFW campus community by serving as a Global Mastodon and engaging in activities on campus such as the annual study abroad fair, photography contest, and study abroad information sessions.