Kettler Hall was IPFW's first building. The groundbreaking took place on October 18, 1962, the cornerstone was placed on September 17, 1963, it opened on September 17, 1964, and was dedicated on November 8, 1964. On May 15, 1973 it was named to honor Fort Wayne civic leader, Alfred W. Kettler, Sr. (1892-1985). Kettler, a Purdue trustee, Purdue President Frederick Hovde, IU President Herman B. Wells, and IU trustee John Hastings were instrumental in bringing IU and Purdue together in Fort Wayne. In 1992 the mortgage on the building was fully paid. The original cost of Kettler Hall (which included the physical plant building and the extension service building) was $5,600,000.