Alumni Successes in Fine Arts
The Department of Fine Arts has graduated over 200 alumni who live in dozens of states across the country and are creating and teaching in their areas of art expertise. Many of our graduates have remained in the region and continue to be the energy of the arts in northeast Indiana.
We highlight alumni accomplishments and successes throughout the year in our electronic newsletter and printed publications. Alumni are encouraged to keep the Dean’s office informed of recent accomplishments and to update your contact information. If you have student success information to share, contact Susan Domer at email@example.com or call 260-481-6025.
Arts Education alumni Karrie Detwiler (’06 B.F.A. Metals) was named Sandhills South/Central Regional Teacher of the Year in North Carolina on December 12, 2011. Detwiler teaches art at J.W. Turlington Alternative School. This prestigious honor positions her to compete for North Carolina Teacher of the Year.
Art education graduate Erin McKeever ('12) now teaches art at Lafayette Meadows Schools for the Southwest Allen County School Corporation. Erin is replacing Sachiko Janek ('09 art education) who is moving out of state.
Kendallville Mayor Suzanne Handshoe and members of the Chamber of Commerce joined artist, owner and IPFW Fine Arts alumni Peggy Tassler ('05) on Nov. 18, 2011 for a grand opening, ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new SOZO Art Studio & Gallery. Located in the heart of Kendallville’s beautiful historic downtown district at 102 S. Main Street, SOZO originally opened in 2008. SOZO expanded into its new home due to their popularity and the loyal support of their patrons. SOZO offers art openings, art-for-sale and a variety of art classes for all ages.
- Jon Burns (B.F.A. ’07, sculpture) was accepted into the M.F.A. in Ceramics program at the University of Florida in Gainesville.
- Derek Decker (B.F.A. ’06, ceramics) was accepted into the M.F.A. in Ceramics program at Edinboro University in Edinboro, Pa.
- Christine Mathews (B.A.’09, art education) secured a full-time position with Fort Wayne Community Schools as a traveling art instructor for Glenwood Park, Fairfield, and Northcrest Elementary schools in Fort Wayne.
- Jennifer Clemments (B.A. ’07, art education) secured an art education teaching position at Elmhurst High School in Fort Wayne.
- The SOZO Art Studio and Gallery in Kendallville, Ind., owned by Fine Arts Alumni Peggy Tassler, held its 1st Annual Artists’ Reception February 13, 2009. Jen Idle Brandenburger (B.F.A. ’04, painting) received Best of Show for her oil painting “Red Firescape.” Mike Burman (B.F.A. ’04, sculpture) was awarded Second Place for his wood sculpture “The Three Friends,” and Laura Gooley (B.F.A. ’06, painting) took Third Place with her oil painting, “Winter at Pisgah Wetland.” The entries were on display until March 30, 2009.
- Holly Dowidat (B.F.A. ’09, ceramics) won a People’s Choice Award at the Artlink Members Show for her ceramic sculpture “Silvanus, Forest of Driftwood.”
- Julie Wall (B.F.A. ’09, printmaking) exhibited a print in Artlink’s 29th Annual National Print Exhibition.
- Andrew Lemmon (B.F.A. ’07, sculpture) won a $500 cash award along with two other artists at Artlink’s Seventh Regional Exhibition in October 2008. The artists have also garnered an invitation to present a three-person exhibition in Artlink’s Main Gallery in December 2009.
- Pam Bradshaw (B.F.A. ’06, printmaking) won a cash award for her collagraph artists’ book “Over Beneath Over” at Artlink’s 28th Annual National Print Exhibition in 2008.
- Jon Burns (B.F.A. ’07, sculpture) received a second-place award at the annual Wildfire Pottery Showcase in 2008. He is a member of the Clay Guild of the Cascades in Bend, Ore.
- Jason Stopa (B.F.A. ’07, painting) is attending the Pratt Institute of Art in Brooklyn, N.Y., while Joshua Hoering (B.F.A. ’08, printmaking) is attending the Rhode Island School of Design. Both men are working toward an M.F.A. at their respective schools.
- Peggy Caron-Tassler (B.F.A. ’05, painting) opened Sozo Art Studio LLC, a new way to experience, teach, and create art in Kendallville, Ind., in 2008. Sozo’s downtown facilities feature an open studio environment. (www.sozoartstudio.com)
Recent art education graduates are teaching in Fort Wayne and the surrounding area.
- Karen Montoya (B.A. ’08, art education), Veritas Academy in South Bend, Ind.
- Angela Grogg ( B.A. ’08, art education), Education department at the Fort Wayne Museum of Art
- Jennifer Clements (B.S.Ed. ’06; B.A. ’07, art education), Forest Park Elementary School in Fort Wayne
- Krystal Booth (B.F.A. ’06; B.A. ’08, art education), New Haven and Meadowbrook elementary schools in New Haven, Ind.
View Alumni Successes by Department: Fine Arts | Music | Theatre | Visual Communication and Design